Summary: Teacher, writer, and place-based educator with experience teaching elementary, middle school, high school, and college students in public school, private school, non-traditional, outdoor, and residential settings.
Conserve School: Teaching Fellow in Environmental Stewardship-August 2017-present
- Taught Environmental Stewardship, a class that emphasizes reflective writing, environmental advocacy, and building community. Developed and led after school seminars on foraged first aid, the local food movement, poetry, public speaking, traveling as an environmental steward, making fire cider, re-imagining Valentine’s Day, and cultivating kindness. Led backpacking trips. Assisted in building and implementing residential life curriculum for boarding school students.
Rising Tide Community Market: Marketing and Outreach Coordinator-November 2015-March 2017
- Promoted local, sustainable, organic, and/or fair trade goods, foods, and products. Coordinated classes, planned events, and coordinated donations to support Rising Tide’s outreach mission. Maintained Rising Tide’s media presence, including website, Facebook, and press releases.
Unity College: Adjunct Professor-August 2015-January 2015
- Taught Science 230/IC 2223: Environmental Issues and Insights and Communication 312/Communication 3123: New Media. Developed web-based content for Unity College’s Online Education Partnership with Thomas College.
Juniper Hill School for Place-Based Education: Instructor in the Roots Classrooms-August 2014-June 2015
- Helped develop and implement integrated curriculum focused on ecology and community in Maine’s first “place-based” elementary school.
Lake Chelan Public Schools: Instructor at Holden School: August 2012-June 2014
- Taught elementary and middle school science, 6th grade language arts, 6th grade social studies, high school environmental literature, and 1st through 12th grade physical education. Facilitated writing workshops, art classes, and educational hikes. Coached cross country. Managed school library. Tutored 1st through 6th grade math and reading. Assisted in classroom management.
Holden Village Education Coordinator: August 2013-June 2014
- Acted as a liaison between Holden School and Holden Village. Organized outreach events. Scheduled and recruited volunteers. Worked with parents of both school-aged and pre-school aged students to coordinate education, sports, and recreation.
YMCA Camp Seymour Outdoor Education Center: Naturalist: August 2011-June 2012
- Taught 4th-6th grade students wildlife ecology, forest ecology, marine science, ornithology, sustainability, and squid dissection. Facilitated night hikes and low ropes initiatives. Implemented creative programming, including an environmental writing course.
Iowa State University: Course Developer: November 2009-May 2011
- Developed an experimental environmental pilot section of English 250 – Written, Oral, Visual, and Electronic Composition titled Speaking in Place: The Environmental Language of the Here and Now for implementation by MFA Student-Faculty
Iowa State University: Instructor: September 2008-May 2011
- Taught English 150 – Critical Thinking and Communication; English 250 – Written, Oral, Visual, and Electronic Composition; and English 207 – Introduction to Creative Writing (break-out section leader and guest-lecturer)
Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum: Educator: Summer 2009
- Gave tours, answered questions, sold tickets, and told stories about lighthouses, shipwrecks and Great Lakes history