Summary: Teacher, writer, and place-based educator with experience teaching elementary, middle school, high school, and college students in public school, private school, non-traditional, outdoor, and residential settings.
Crystal Creek Citizen-Artist in Residence–Summer 2018
The Loft: Teaching Artist–Summer 2018
Conserve School: Teaching Fellow in Environmental Stewardship-August 2017-June 2017
- Taught Environmental Stewardship, a class that emphasizes reflective writing, environmental advocacy, and building community.
- Developed and led after school seminars on foraged first aid, the local food movement, poetry, public speaking, traveling as an environmental steward, making fire cider, re-imagining Valentine’s Day, and cultivating kindness.
- Led backpacking trips.
- Assisted in building and implementing residential life curriculum for boarding school students.
Rising Tide Community Market: Marketing and Outreach Coordinator-November 2015-March 2017
- Created the co-op’s first brand guide, marketing and outreach budget, and marketing plan.
- Managed Rising Tide’s media presence, which included: writing press releases, maintaining the website, Facebook and Instagram; writing and designing weekly Mailchimp e-mail blasts, editing and designing the quarterly newsletter, & designing advertisements
- Compiled and designed the co-op’s Annual Report
- Managed the co-op’s donation program
- Coordinated community cooking classes and co-op outreach events
- Served as a delegate on the Lincoln County Food Security Council
Unity College: Adjunct Professor-August 2015-January 2015
- Taught Science 230/IC 2223: Environmental Issues and Insights and Communication 312/Communication 3123: New Media.
- Developed web-based content for Unity College’s Online Education Partnership with Thomas College.
Juniper Hill School for Place-Based Education: Instructor in the Roots Classrooms-August 2014-June 2015
- Helped develop and implement integrated curriculum focused on ecology and community in Maine’s first “place-based” elementary school.
Lake Chelan Public Schools: Instructor at Holden School: August 2012-June 2014
- Taught elementary and middle school science, 6th grade language arts, 6th grade social studies, high school environmental literature, and 1st through 12th grade physical education.
- Facilitated writing workshops, art classes, and educational hikes.
- Coached cross country.
- Managed school library.
Holden Village Education Coordinator: August 2013-June 2014
- Acted as a liaison between Holden School and Holden Village. Organized outreach events.
- Scheduled and recruited volunteers.
- Worked with parents of both school-aged and pre-school aged students to coordinate education, sports, and recreation.
YMCA Camp Seymour Outdoor Education Center: Naturalist: August 2011-June 2012
- Taught 4th-6th grade students wildlife ecology, forest ecology, marine science, ornithology, sustainability, and squid dissection.
- Facilitated night hikes and low ropes initiatives.
- Implemented creative programming, including an environmental writing course.
Iowa State University: Course Developer: November 2009-May 2011
- Developed an experimental environmental pilot section of English 250 – Written, Oral, Visual, and Electronic Composition titled Speaking in Place: The Environmental Language of the Here and Now for implementation by MFA Student-Faculty
Iowa State University: Instructor: September 2008-May 2011
- Taught English 150 – Critical Thinking and Communication; English 250 – Written, Oral, Visual, and Electronic Composition; and English 207 – Introduction to Creative Writing (break-out section leader and guest-lecturer)
Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum: Educator: Summer 2009
- Gave tours, answered questions, sold tickets, and told stories about lighthouses, shipwrecks and Great Lakes history